As you may have guessed by the lack of activity, I’ve been traveling since mid-August, but now I’M BACK! Which means all sorts of yummy recipes for you to try 🙂
I wanted to reconnect with all my friends so I invited them to a popcorn party at my place. “A what?” you say… a party where I make pounds of popcorn kernels into delicious, crunchy popcorn and each guest brings their favourite toppings so we can all try them. It was really fun! I was lucky enough to borrow a popcorn popping machine from my sister, but when I don’t have that luxury, here’s the stovetop method I use:
3 Tbsp coconut oil
1/3 cup popcorn kernels
1) On medium high heat, melt the coconut oil on the stove in a medium pot that has a lid.
2) Put 3 popcorn kernels into the oil and cover the pot.
3) This is the most important part and it’s time sensitive! When those kernels pop, add the rest of the 1/3 cup of popcorn kernels into the pot and spread them out in an even layer by shaking the pan a bit. Cover the pot, remove it from the burner and count for 30 seconds.
4) Now put the pot back on the hot burner – the kernels will start popping all at once. When the popping is going strong, move the pot back and forth over the burner to gently stir the kernels around. Do your best to keep the lid slightly ajar so the steam escapes (and the popcorn stays fluffy and crispy).
5) As the popping calms down to a few seconds between pops, take the pot off the burner, remove the lid, and empty the popcorn into a big bowl (I usually use a large tupperware with a lid so I can add my seasonings and shake it up to fully coat eat piece)
6) This last step is all up to you – what are your favourite toppings? For me, I use Ace Curries To Go Butter Chicken spice mix with a little melted Earth Balance. It’s the best I’ve ever had and super unique! Other options are Italian spice mix with parmesan, nutritional yeast with butter, raw agave syrup with cinnamon and crushed pecan or plain ol’ salt and butter.
I’d love to hear what you create for your next movie night or popcorn party so leave a comment 🙂