Time for something sweet! Really, this isn’t super sugary, just enough to hit the spot 😉 Tell me what you think!
- 1 cup Vanilla Almond milk
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup grapeseed oil (or other oil, like coconut)
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1.5 cups all-purpose gluten free flour (I use Pamela’s)
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 tsp gluten free baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup coconut butter – different than coconut oil (http://www.artisanafoods.com/coconut/coconut-butter/)
- 1 butterscotch soy pudding
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a small circular pan (I prefer a spring form pan) with Earth Balance or coconut oil then add about 2 tablespoons of GF flour to the pan – move the pan around until the flour coats the whole inside. With an electric mixer, beat together the following ingredients in a large bowl: almond milk, oil, coconut sugar, apple cider vinegar, vanilla, and almond extract. Beat on medium speed for a minute or two. If you’ve been skipping out on the gym lately, do this by hand (it takes about 10 minutes and your shoulder will burn!).
2. Now sift in the dry ingredients together (GF flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt). Add this dry mixture into the wet ingredients, mixing until all the clumps are gone.
3. Spoon the batter into your prepared cake pan, levelling out the top before you put it in the oven. Bake for about 45 minutes (depends on the dimensions of your cake pan) at 350F, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
4. The frosting is easy – put the coconut butter, soy pudding and vanilla into a blender and turn it on low to start. This makes super fluffy icing, just make sure your motor isn’t having to work too hard. The consistency should be very close to a regular icing once you’re done. Allow the cake to completely cool before frosting it, unless you prefer soggy, sloppy cake… No judgement here 😛
This is the inspiration for my recipe so check it out too (one of my favourite resources!)